50+ Things to do in Central Wisconsin this Summer with your Kids!
Outdoor Art & Gardens:
1. Check out the work of Clyde Wynia, the artist behind Jurustic Park in Marshfield. (Free)
2. Walk through the amazing Stevens Point Sculpture Park with your family. (Free)
3. Browse through the Leigh Yawkey Woodson Art Museum in Wausau. They have beautiful art displayed outside as well as indoors and if you have young children make sure to check out their Art Park in the basement specifically made for young kids! (Free)
4. Stroll through the Monk Botanical Gardens to enjoy nature’s beauty! Don’t forget to check out their tree house, especially fun for kids! (Free)
5. Rudolph is known for cheese but did you know they are home of the Grotto Gardens? Check out this beautiful hidden gem! (Free)
Kid Friendly Museums:
7. Learn about who roamed the Earth thousands of years ago at Colossal Fossils in Wausau. ($)
8. Enjoy a creative and magical day at the Central Wisconsin Children’s Museum followed by a slice of pizza at Politos in Stevens Point! ($)
9. Explore some new exhibits while using your imagination at the Wausau Children’s Museum followed by lunch at Politos (my kids have a thing for Politos!). ($)
10. Take a road trip to Medford to visit Huey’s Hideaway Children’s Museum. ($)
11. Enjoy Breakfast on the Farm on select Sundays at Lonely Oak Farm in Millidore. ($)
12. Help beat the heat this summer by stopping at one of the numerous Ice Cream Parlors in the area! ($)
13. Enjoy a night off of cooking! Spend a peaceful and fun night with family and friends outside at Stoney Acres Farm in Athens for their brick oven pizzas! ($)
14. Enjoy a hardy breakfast and thank a farmer by attending one of the many Dairy Breakfasts this summer. ($)
15. Find a local farm where you and your family can pick your own berries! ($)
16. Take a road trip to get some yummy cheese curds at one of the many cheese stores right here in central Wisconsin! Here are a few of our favorites! Feltz Dairy Store in Stevens Point, Dairy State Cheese in Rudolph, Seehafer Farm Creamery in Marshfield and Marieke Gouda in Thorp. Most of these places have kid friendly activities as well as many other products to choose from! ($)
17. Check out the local Farmer’s Markets for some fresh produce. Have the kiddos stay busy by doing a scavenger hunt! (Free)
18. Need a night off of cooking? Check out our Kids Eat for Free/Cheap page! ($)
Hiking, Biking or Walking in Nature:
19. Hike up Rib Mountain, once you get there stop at the concession stand for a popsicle and play on the playground.
20. Take a new route on Rib Mountain and discover the Rib Mountain Quarry trail.
21. Explore the Mead & McMillan Marsh Wildlife Areas. There are over 33,000 acres of beautiful nature to discover!
22. Check out one of the many classes offered at Schmeeckle Reserve for all ages in Stevens Point. Followed by browsing their gift shop. (Free)
23. Explore the Ice Age Trails that runs right through central Wisconsin. (Free)
24. Bike around the Green Circle in Stevens Point. (Free)
25. Plan a picnic for after walking around the Dells of the Eau Claire.
26. Take a spin on one of the longest rail-trails in Wisconsin. The Mountain-Bay State Trail will take you all the way to Green Bay!
27. Enjoy the sights while biking on the Wisconsin Rapids Ahdawagam Bike Trails.
28. Have you ever wondered where the exact center of our state is? Make a trip to Pittsville to teach the kids some fun new facts about our state! (Free)
29. Visit the exact point half-way between the Equator and the North Pole right here in Marathon County! Once you visit, take a trip to the Wausau/Central Wisconsin Visitor Center to sign the official logbook and receive your own commemorative medallion! (Free)
30. Stop by Warrens to visit the Cranberry Museum, learn everything you need to know about cranberries and if you have time, schedule a marsh tour!
31. Take advantage of the warm summer weather and find a local pool, splash pad or fountain to stay cool in! Check out our friendly guide here!($)
32. Grab a folding chair, cozy blanket and lots of snacks then head to one of your favorite outdoor movies this summer! (Free)
33. Find a local place to go fishing.
34. Make sure to stop by the 400 Block on Market Day Thursdays for the kids to enjoys some fun and messy sensory play with the Wausau Children’s Museum as well and some yummy local food trucks and free entertainment on the stage! (Free)
35. Check out the on going events that Willow Springs Gardens hosts including their Pizza Nights! ($)
36. Find a fun new class for your kids that Monk Botanical Gardens in Wausau offers and while you’re at it, find one for you too! ($)
40. Cruse to Wisconsin Rapids to check out their petting zoo and don’t forget to stop at Rudolph Wisconsin Cheese Store for some delicious curds and ice cream!
41. Enjoy a picnic at Marathon Park before you take the kids to the splash Pad. Finsh with a ride on the “choo-choo” train and yummy ice cream on the way out! It makes for a great day and a high percentage of kids taking a nap afterwards!! ($)
42. Build sandcastles and play in the water in Stevens Point at Iverson Park. When you’re done, make a stop at Belt’s for ice cream!
43. Pack a picnic and plan a day of play at the K.A.S.H Park in Stevens Point. This is the biggest universally accessible playground for our area!
44. Check out one of the many places you can enjoy music outdoors with family and friends! Concerts on the Square in Wausau, Jazz on the River in Wausau, Levitt AMP Concerts in Stevens Point, Stevens Point City Band, Wisconsin Rapids City Band, Lunch by the River in Wisconsin Rapids, Merrill City Band, Downtown Friday Nights in Marshfield. (Free)
45. Join your local library for some amazing and FREE summer programs that will keep your kiddos busy, entertained and most importantly, reading! (Free)
46. Sign your child up for Barnes & Nobels Summer Reading Program where they can earn a free book! (Free)
47. Join Portage County’s United Way Summer Sizzle Program located in multiple locations throughout the summer! (Free)
48. Check out one of the many indoor play areas on those ‘too hot kinda days!’ Here’s our guide. (Free)
49. Check out Marcus theater in Rothschild for their Kids Dream Family Series for some inexpensive fun! You can even get tickets for FREE at your local American Family Agent. (Free)
50. Wanting to swim outside but it’s raining? Check out our indoor swimming locations! ($)
51. Check out one of the on going kids workshops at your local Michaels, Home Depot, ACE and more. (Free)
53. Check out a local bowling alley and if you haven’t already, check out the ones that are giving out free summer bowling vouchers for kids! ($)
54. Take a trip to Rothschild to check out the new Sawmill Adventure Park where your kids can bounce the night away! ($)
Dates Worth Saving!
55. Get your cowboy boots on and dust off your hat for the Merrill Rodeo on June 7th-9th. ($)
56. Don’t forget about Wausau Events Summer Kickoff on June 14th! Click here for information! (Free)
57. Join Greenheck Field House as they host the Family Fitness Fest on June 25th in Wausau. (Free)
58. My kids talk about the Wausau Balloon and Rib Fest all year long. Make sure you save the date for Wausau’s favorite event on July 11th-14th! (Free)
59. Our family has been focusing on making healthy choices together including exercising. Join GPI Cares for their annual Fun Run for St. Jude in Rib Mountain on July 27th. The kids will love running through the bounce houses with you! ($)
60. Join the manger from Politos Pizza at Monk Botanical Gardens in Wausau to learn how to make pizza from garden to plate as a family on July 28th. ($)
61. Join United Way on August 1st on the 400 Block in Wausau for their Raise Great Kids Day! This event will keep your kids busy all morning! (Free)